21 Feb Why you need a mobile optimized website in 2018
Lot’s of businesses that have been around for a while think, “why fix what isn’t broken?” when it comes to their website. But do you even know your website is broken? Here’s why you need a mobile optimized website in 2018:
Hold on, how wouldn’t I know my website is broken?
Thanks for asking. You might log on to your desktop and see what appears to be a perfectly functioning site. But have you checked it on your smartphone? How about on a tablet?
If you haven’t optimized your website layout, page speed and user experience (UX), your website is broken.
There you go again with that word, ‘broken’. What’s wrong with my site?!
When you don’t have a mobile optimized website, Google and other popular search engines are already punishing your site in terms of rank on search engine results pages (SERPs). This rolled out in a recent Google algorithm update. In terms of search visibility, this means that less people are likely to be able to find your website when they search for relevant keywords (especially because chances are, your competition already has optimized their sites for mobile).
Did you know that over half of all web traffic now comes from mobile?
That means that you could be missing out on over 50% of your potential web viewers! Think of all the customer leads and money that is left on the table by having an out of date website.
Here are a list of things you should check to see if you have a mobile optimized website:
- check if your site is mobile friendly here
- your site content fits within the viewport of mobile screens, also known as responsive design
- your images are compressed for faster load time
- minify code, leverage browser caching, and reduce redirects
- for any effects use HTML5 instead of Flash
- carefully consider use of pop-ups: many times users get frustrated trying to figure out how to close these on mobile (fat finger complex) which can hurt bounce rate
- submit your site to Google Search Console to identify further errors and areas of optimization
- build your site with Google AMP: The AMP project enables the creation of websites and ads that are consistently fast, beautiful and high-performing across devices and distribution platforms
Need to convince your decision-makers that it’s time for a mobile optimized site? Contact us now or for even more advice from trusted pros, visit the Moz Blog and read The SEO’s Guide to Building a Great Mobile Site.
Ready to get your mobile optimized website? Contact our team of Search Engine Optimization professionals today and start your journey to better rankings!